Project: Hands on Conservation / Module 3
In the period from 05.-09.11.2018 the third module of the HANDS ON CONSERVATION workshop was held – traditional craftsmanship for the conservation/restoration of fortified churches.
The target group of this module were the castle guardians.
We enjoyed this time with the motivated and committed participants, who wanted to learn more about the proper care of fortified churches – an activity they mostly perform as volunteers. The participants also had the opportunity to exchange ideas, experiences and practices in their daily work, both with each other and with the guardians of the fortified churches whom they visited during the three days of the excursions.
Day 1 (Theory)
– general terms on the typology of the Saxon churches in Transylvania
– Types and interpretation of damage
– Maintenance and repairs
– Preservation / restoration of historical monuments
Day 2 (trip in direction of Mediaș)
– Visit of the church castles: Hamba, Șura Mare, Axente Sever
– Examples of intervention measures
– Assessment of the damage by the participants, based on the test sheets
– Discussion of participants’ observations
Day 3 (trip in direction of Sebeș)
– Visit of the fortified churches: Câlnic, Cristian(SB), Cisnădie
– Examples of good practice
– Exchange of experience with the castle guardians of the three facilities visited
Day 4 (trip in direction of Agnita)
– Visit to the fortified churches: Marpod, Hosman
– Practical work in the Marpod fortified church: removal of vegetation, cleaning in the church and the former parish house
Day 5 (Guest: Mihai Ferenc / wood restorer)
– Presentation of maintenance work that can be carried out daily: cleaning, ventilation, decorations/flowers
– Ensuring visits to the fortified church, etc.
– other topics presented: maintenance of the monument, conservation/consolidation of the monument, restoration of the monument
Workshops in small groups
Topic 1: Tourism
Topic 2: Networking
Topic 3: Maintenance measures
Topic 4: The next workshop (wishes of the participants)
Evaluation of the workshop and submission of participation certificates
The team of the Fortified Churches Foundation would like to thank the sponsor and all those who supported the workshop, and of course the participants for the energy, commitment and steady smile that contributed to an unforgettable workshop!
Hands on Conservation is a project of the Fortified Churches Foundation, co-financed by the AFCN and supported by the Prince of Wales Foundation Romania and the Bavarian State Ministry for Family, Labour and Social Affairs.