Jibert / Seiburg / Zsiberk

First mentioned in documents in 1289 as “villa Syberg”, Jibert built a Romanesque hall church with a west tower with a round-arched portal, remarkable stonemasonry work on corbels in the choir and round-arched windows in the 13th century. The bell tower was extended to a massive defense tower around 1450. After the church had already undergone major reconstruction in the 17th century, the west tower was demolished first in 1859 and in the following years the entire building was finally demolished.

The laying of the foundation stone for the new church took place in 1868. During his visitation of the Rupea church district, Bishop Georg Daniel Teutsch reported in 1871 that the parish of Jibert was building “a new church in the pointed arch style, as it can be built here and now”. 15 years after the start of construction, the church was able to be consecrated. It is a spacious church with Classicistic interior. The Maywald organ originally comes from the old church (1841/1850), but was rebuilt and extended for the new church by Joseph Nagy in the late 1870s.