Nemșa / Nimesch / Nemes

In the late 14th century, the people of Nemșa built a Gothic hall church with a nave and choir in the west of the community. According to a record, at the beginning of the 19th century it was still written on the old parish pew that the church was consecrated on the last Sunday in Advent of the year 1400. In 1733, the vaults in the nave, supported by two pillars, were removed; at the end of the century, the nave was vaulted again. The pilasters on the sidewalls carry strap arches that support the sail vault with lunettes. Major repairs to the church were last carried out in 1954. In 1920, six rectangular areas with frescoes were uncovered in the choir; the Gothic minuscule indicates that the church was built in the 15th century. The six pictures depict Saints Catherine and Dorothea, Paul and Peter, as well as Jesus’ capture and Jesus as Man of Sorrows. The Renaissance altar was created around 1520. The organ purchased in 1745 was sold to the parish of Zlagna in 1883. In the same year a small organ was made by Wilhelm Hörbiger from Sibiu. The large bell from the 15th century bears the inscription “O rex gloriae veni cum pace” – “O, King of glory, bring peace!