Vărd / Werd / Vérd

Quarry stones were used for the construction of the Romanesque church of St. Marz in Vărd in the 13th century. The thickness of the walls indicates that not only a house of worship was built here, but also a structure that was intended to offer protection to the inhabitants in dangerous times. The four-story stone bell tower, which is the same width as the church hall, was built a century later and was raised by another floor in the middle of the 19th century.  Already from the 15th century, there is a rectangular curtain wall, six to seven meters high, with two towers to the southwest and east. In 1660, the small fortified church successfully defended itself against the troops of George Rákóczy II. In 1924 the biggest part of the wall belt was taken down, but already in 1877 a part of the ring wall had collapsed. The fortification tower in the southwest was finally demolished in 1953/54. Inside the church, the people of Vărd built galleries on the north and west walls in the 18th century, whose wooden paneled balustrades are painted with Rococo motifs. In addition, the hall and choir were spanned with a round belt vault. In the church of Vărd there was once a Johannes Hahn organ from 1770, which today stands in St. Michael’s Church in Cluj.