Maieruș / Nussbach / Szászmagyarós

In the 14th and 15th century, the people of Maieruș built a Gothic hall church with an adjacent bell tower. When the tower was raised to twelve meters in 1475, they walled up its arcades. Also still in the 15th century, they built a six to eight meter high defensive wall. Today only remains of it can be seen, because it was largely demolished at the end of the 19th century for the purpose of building a school. In 1573 the church was destroyed by fire and only repaired in a makeshift manner. Between 1791 and 1793 the old choir was torn down and the hall, which was given a flat ceiling, was extended to the east. The latter was given a plaster ceiling with simple stucco ornamentation in 1900. In addition, wooden galleries were added to the north and west walls during the renovation work from 1791 to 1793, which was equivalent to a new building. The bell tower was raised one last time in 1842.