Șmig / Schmiegen / Somogyom

The church of Șmig, consecrated to St. Mary, was built in the 14th century as a hall church and rebuilt at the end of the 15th century.

After falling into dilapidation at the beginning of the first half of the 19th century, the building was repaired in 1859. In the course of this work, the wall paintings which were partially uncovered by restorers around 2010 and could be assigned to the 15th century, were whitewashed.

A valuable, pre-Reformation winged altar with a sculpture of the Virgin Mary from the early 16th century was replaced at the end of the 19th century by a new one with a representation of Christ. The parish had the original altar transferred to the museum in Sighișoara, from where it was lent to the National Museum of Art in Bucharest in the 1950s, where it is still part of a permanent exhibition.