The castle was built in the 13th century to serve as refuge fort for the local noble family. The rectangular fortification wall, its entrance tower and the donjon having residential function survived the centuries. Today the bells floor built in 1879 and covered with the distinctive pointed spire, flanked by four corner turrets stands over the vaulted lower floors of the tower. The noble castle was later taken over by the community, which built the old school in the precincts.
Another important building is the Gothic parish church nearby, which was rebuilt in Baroque style after destruction and has a valuable Baroque altar. It is also possible to visit the ruins of the originally fortified Romanesque church on the hill near the Evanghelic cemetery.
Place and surroundings
One of Transylvania’s last noble castles is preserved in Gârbova. Count Daniel built it in the 13th Century seeking protection against the frequent Turkish attacks. The defence system consisted of loopholes in the tower and a parapet walk above the storage rooms. The castle was also surrounded with a massive wall.
After the count’s family retreated, the villagers took over the ensemble. During an attack in 1658 the entire village was destroyed but the castle stood strong.
The only access is through a tunnel under the gate tower. Here is preserved one of the last Transylvanian bacon chambers and it still serves its purpose today. The tower preserves also a collection of historical objects illustrating local life and traditions. The former residential tower, enlarged in the 19th Century, offers sweeping views of the village and surrounding area.